Where to eat?


It’s a question that has plagued mankind for centuries, do I stay in and make myself Kraft dinner or do I go out and spend my hard earned money at McDonalds?  That is a question that I have not needed to ask myself for the past two years, due to the fact that here at Camp Evergreen we have the honour of having Ken as a chef.  If you have ever been to camp you know what I mean.  Ken's commitment to good food has always meant that the food is above and beyond that of a normal meal.  Some of these meals would include, but are not limited to: burgers fresh off the barbecue with all the trimmings, pancakes with strawberry sauce and whipped cream, chili with corn bread muffins, juicy chicken breast, fresh veggies, pizza, bacon (of course), and so so so many more.  And if you have one of those special diets don't worry about it, as long as Ken knows he will prepare something just as amazing for you.  Ken is like that. He wants everyone to feel they are getting the best food possible and he does a great job of it!

Now I know what you are thinking, John you will eat like anything.  Yes, you would be right, I do eat just about anything but I also know the difference between food, good food and great food. It's like the old chicken commercials used to say,” you can taste the difference quality makes.”  This is true here at Camp Evergreen we are so spoiled by our kitchen, by the people who work so hard to keep us fed, healthy and happy.









That's Kailee our assistant cook!
I know I probably eat too much (Ken sometimes lets me know) and I will pay for it someday when I'm older, but its not going to be everyday that I get food like this I’m sorry to say, so I have to enjoy it as long as I can.  Working here for two years now you do start to see some of the same meals over but that's okay - I never find that we have the same meal too many times in a row and Ken always finds a way to mix things up which is always a surprise and I never get tired of eating in.










If the food wasn’t good enough there is also the great community around the table at every meal. The meal becomes a place where us staff can come and enjoy good food and conversation about our adventures during the day, talk of something funny a kid did or said up at the zipline, or how Germans and Canadians are so different and how we are similar, or about future goals or past victories, or what God has been showing us through the day. And sometimes the
food is just too good and we all stuff our faces and talk when our plates are empty.


John "The Dishracktion" Toews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

welcome

summer is here