Every Moment Counts

“But whatever you do, find the God-centered, Christ-exalting, Bible-saturated passion of your life, and find your way to say it and live for it and die for it. And you will make a difference that lasts. You will not waste your life.” - John Piper

As a child, my parents never sent me to summer camp. In grade 9, I went on a school trip to Frontier Lodge, we called it The Winter Survival Trip. These few days at camp sparked a desire in me to go back that summer. However, thinking back now, it was more than the fun activities we did that made me want to go back, it was the staff. I saved every penny that I could to go for summer camp. That one week at camp impacted me in ways that I never realized until this past year. Camp was full of adventure that included rock climbing, rappelling, mountain biking, white-water rafting, and overnight camp in the mountains. Regardless of my love for each activity, the highlight of camp by far was the staff, especially my cabin leader. She was kind. She was considerate. She always had a smile on her face, ALWAYS! She was goofy. Not once did she make me feel bad about how she woke up almost every night as result of my sleep talking or should I say sleep screaming!! Rather she would laugh about it with me the next morning. Although it was only one week of camp, that is all that it took to make a difference in my life.


Five years later (last summer), I started working at Camp Evergreen as a Cabin Leader. I spent seven weeks this summer in a cabin, namely Crestwood Chalet. Each week was filled with memories, some moments there were tears but other moments were filled with laughter. It is so amazing that I now get to be the one who makes other kids experience at camp the best that it ever could be by showing the love of Christ through every interaction I have with them. Every moment counts. Every word counts. Every action counts.

One verse that I felt God highlight to me this past summer was 1 Corinthians 3:6, “I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow.” As staff, sometimes we get to share about Jesus for the first time to a camper or maybe we are adding to their knowledge about God. Both of which are equally awesome! But at the end of the week, we can't change anything in each kid's heart rather we have to trust God that He will provide the growth. The staff at Frontier shined the light of Jesus through the way they lived their day-to-day lives. I never thought too much about it when it happened. However, now almost six years later, I see the affect they had on me. At camp, we get one week with kids, sometimes only two days, and it is my conviction to make it the best ever by loving them the way Christ loves them. I want them to remember the staff who were patient and kind, encouraging and loving towards them.

Right now my passion is camp. What is your "camp"? Maybe it is teaching English class to middle school students. Or maybe it is going to college.Wherever you may be, every moment counts. Every day we are given the opportunity to shine the light of Jesus Christ through our interactions with various individuals, whether that is at school, with co-workers, or at the grocery store. It matters what we say and how we say it. It matters what we do and how we do it. Everything matters. Every moment counts.

- Bekah aka Blitz 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

welcome

summer is here