A Life Transformed

It's a strange thing to walk out of your house at 7:45am on March 9th to find puddles already formed and eavestroughs dripping. It's strange to watch the horses start shedding or rhubarb trying to grow. My brain is still trying to convince me that it's winter and yet everything around me screams that spring is here.

Do you know what spring means? It means that summer camp is just, JUST around the corner. Ever since I was a young'un - I loved camp. Loved, in my case, might be a slight understatement. While my brother experienced a wee bit of homesickness - I was the kid who was hauling their bags out of mum's car, insisting that I could register myself. One year I even told mum that the camp ended a day later than it actually did. The camp directors figured that one out pretty easily though. The day that camp ended I was counting down the days until I got to go again; 357 days...356 days...355 days...354 days...

I loved the food, the silly dress up nights, night games, wide games, and silly games. Camp was a safe place for me - a happy place. It was where, in grade seven, I made my faith my own moving from just being a believer to being a follower of Jesus. I remember all of my counsellors and to this day, am still friends with several of my cabin mates.

I remember one cabin leader in particular, Denise, who was a leader at a time in my life when I was angry, sad, and struggling through some things at home. She walked with me and listened each day as I processed how I felt. Near the end of the week she encouraged me to start giving my hurt and my confusion over to Jesus. It wasn't easy but those moments became very significant to me. 

Years later, now a Program Director at Evergreen, I was closing a week of camp with our Parents Program and I look up to see Denise in the crowd - she was picking up her son from camp. We caught up afterwards and hugged, and shared crazy memories from camp. I looked at her and said that it was staff like her that inspired me to pursue camp ministry after high school - that it was staff like her who showed me who Jesus really was.

I think that is one of the reasons why I love our mission line that says "Lives Transformed by the Power of Jesus". I have experienced it personally and every summer I get to witness lives transformed by the power of our Lord. God chooses to use people to do that. And that's where the STAFF come in. We still need staff to fill positions for Spring/Summer (May-August) and also Summer (July and August). We need cabin leaders, camp nurses, out-trip leaders, and activity leaders. We need LOTS of volunteers.

We want to see Lives Transformed by the Power of Jesus. Will you join us in this? Maybe you know someone who should work at camp or maybe you can volunteer for a week. We invite you to be part of an amazing adventure that is camp and experience the transformation for yourself. Apply here for an unforgettable summer in 106 days...105 days...104 days...103 days...

Jogee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter

welcome