Why I do what I do...

 
Why do I do what I do? Hmm, thoughts to ponder I am sure for everyone of us. But I am not talking about everyone else, just myself. At this present time in history I am the Food Services Manager here at Camp Evergreen. I get to plan, cook, order food, make sure I am somewhat close to my budget (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and to generally make sure that anything pertaining to food and the kitchen is running smoothly. Especially the part about the food. Which most people seem to like, at least according to John's blog post.

I do love what I do. I have been cooking as a career for close to 20 years. During that time I have had opportunity to work in some good spots, I wouldn't necessarily say top of the line places. But good places to learn. After finishing some time at Bible school, I felt God calling me to finish my cook training. I finally finished my training in 2002 and was certified as a Red Seal cook in 2003. My first time cooking at Camp Evergreen was back in 2000. My second stint came in 2002, when I met my wonderful wife Rachel. We were married in 2003 and returned to Camp in 2004. And we are still here.

I do love cooking. I love the creativity with it, the artistry, the textures, the tastes that you can get when you layer out your flavours. Working the right combinations together to get a truly scrumptious meal, or dessert, or snack. I do love how God has given me this gift to use for His glory, for kingdom building, for working here to help nourish both body and soul. And I am glad that others appreciate what I do.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, it is important to have the right perspective about how to use our gifts, skills and talents. I find this evident in Ephesians 4:12 "for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" Actually to get a fuller understanding of this it is always better to read the whole passage of Ephesians 4:11-16. I also find instruction about this in Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Camp ministry is hard, challenging, fun, exciting, exhausting, joyful, and all manner of things in between. I am thankful that I am able to serve here at Camp Evergreen in Christ, for Christ and because of Christ. I guess my challenge is this, to know what your skills, gifts and talents are, and to use them in such a way as to honour and glorify Him for the eternal benefit of those around you.


Ken "Captain Dash" Underwood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter

welcome