Trust in Cookies is Hard

I have a couple "jokes" or funny comments that folks hear me say sometimes around here about trust issues. The first one and probably the truest one for me is Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. You know, those cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies but when you bite into them expecting yummy, sweet chocolate - you get this odd texture and a sweetness that has no business impersonating chocolate. I don't trust very many cookies that may claim to be chocolate chip and are really fruit.

I hate Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. They give me trust issues. And really, anything that looks like something that it isn't can give me trust issues.

Proverbs 3:5
It reminds me of this time when I was a kid and we had a friend from Australia staying with us for the Harvest season and I made a jam sandwich for school. All was well and good, nothing even looked off when I was at school and bit into my sandwich...our Aussie had switched my JAM sandwich for a VEGI-MITE sandwich (think molasses and salt...lots and lots of salt). I distinctly remember nearly woofing my cookies (probably oatmeal raisin cookies) because of the shock of being so deceived. I'll tell you - I didn't make any sandwiches from that point on that could be confused with Vegi-mite.

Those are fun examples of when trust is given and then broken but trust is a serious conversation. It's hard to establish and easy to break. Trust is something that we crave and desire out of our closest relationships but it's also something that holds us back from really diving deep, intimate relationship with Jesus.

The biggest thing God wants from us today is our trust. And not just a little trust and not just MOST of our trust, but trust with ALL OF OUR HEART. Trusting means getting out of the driver's seat...and allowing God to have control. Letting go of control is a "big one" for me (and probably most of us). Our fears have conditioned us to hold tightly to what makes us feel safe and comfortable.

But how can God have a "future, and a hope" for us (Jer. 29:11) if we're holding onto the wheel and directing it ourselves? He can't and so the future we drive into is the one we directed. God wants good things for us and yet - we so desperately hold onto what we have in fear of losing it. When the reality is - God wants to give us good things and wants to make our paths straights (Prov. 3:6).

Are you holding onto the wheel today? Or can God have the control He so desires to have...not to lord it over you, but to bring you into a future filled with His hope!

Have a great day!!

Jogee (Courtney)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

welcome

summer is here