Emily in the Winter.

As the frost shimmers in the sunlight and the wind picks up blowing the -30 temperature at my face, I lower the plow and head down the driveway cleaning up the snow from the day before.

For some reason I think that may be the best introduction to who I am and to one of the many things I love doing here at camp during the winter season. My name is Emily and I love working outside. Temperatures don’t seem to slow me down much and weather conditions mean nothing to me. Now I’m not saying I’m invincible or untouchable. Rather, having rosy pink cheeks and feeling the pure exhaustion of hard work and walking with heavy winter boots and all the layers all day is somehow comforting and reassuring that hard work pays off in the end.

Working on maintenance during the winter is such a beautiful thing. In the winter, we have time to accomplish the tasks and repair jobs that have been waiting months for even a quick assessment glance. So far this winter has been very busy, from the very first snowfall to just a few weeks ago when I spending hours flooding our 2 rinks nonstop just to get them up to par for our annual pond hockey tournament. Along with working on the rinks, the transformation of the upper brown house section had begun. The upper brown house used to be Kerry's most awesome house and now the front half is our “new” staff lounge and the back half will be housing for male staff … that’s AWESOME.

Also this year I was able to accompany Becca and Courtney on the camp days tour to Saskatchewan. We went from Briercrest to Millar and last but not least Bethany. It was such a sweet experience for me, mostly because it was a sweet chance to connect with students and just laugh about whatever. The trip came to a finish in Edmonton after we set up the booth for the Breakforth weekend that Kerry, Julia and Cody represented camp for.

Now, I'm back at camp safe and sound and working outside. But, my mind has already begun to think of summer and all the possibilities of our Mountain Biking chosen skill. I have lots of planning to do and I'm stoked and ready to continue working hard and seeing camp's chosen skills get beefed up.



A note from Kerry about the above video. The first half of the video features Emily and Jyle, biking in their spare time and without campers around. In that part of the video, they're not wearing helmets and that's not okay. We're all on the same page now: Emily and Jyle wear their helmets all the time when they're biking on site -- even when there aren't campers with them and even if it's on an off day or an off block. I'm glad because choosing not to wear a helmet is unwise and Camp Evergreen has a strict policy when it comes to helmets and mountain biking: in a nutshell, "anyone on a bicycle, regardless of their age or destination, is required to wear a bicycle helmet while they ride". So, if you're bringing a bike to camp ... don't forget your helmet.

Comments

Alyssa Neudorf said…
MTN biking was fantastic the two years i did it!

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter

welcome