Talking Tuesdays - Eric Schubert

Hey there!

The snow has fallen again out on the property and the gravel roads that were so close to being dry are now muddy puddles with melting snow once again! 

I know early-Spring time isn't a favourite of many people, but it is definitely my favourite season. There is just something so sweet about finally being able to go outside in just a sweater after long months of bundling up to stay warm. And please, don't get me started on how AMAZING the outside world smells right now! I mean, have you stepped out your front door and taken a huge deep breath lately!? Talk about a breath of fresh air! Seriously, it's my favourite.

Over the next handful of weeks, I want to take some time to introduce you to the people that keep Camp running all year long - a series called "Talking Tuesdays!". So, grab your hot beverage of choice, take a seat, and get to know our Chair of our Board of Directors, Eric Schubert.

How long have you worked at/been connected camp?

My entire life! I first attended Camp Evergreen for church picnics and family camp as a toddler. I came to camp as a camper when I was 10. I worked at camp for 4 seasons, met my wife at camp, volunteered for more seasons after that, chaperoned youth retreats, brought school groups to Camp Evergreen and joined the Camp Evergreen board in 2016. I love bringing my family and friends out to Camp Evergreen every chance I can.

How long have you been in your current position?

I joined the Camp Evergreen board in 2016. I have been the Chair of the Board of Directors since June 2017.

What do you outside of Camp?

I am an Assistant Principal at a middle school in Airdrie, Alberta

What is your favourite thing about Camp ministry?

I love the amazing opportunity to Camp provides children, youth, and families to explore and grow their faith in an amazing environment and community.

Why is Camp Ministry important to you?

Camp ministry is important to me because Camp is a place where I made faith in Jesus my own. Camp ministry helped me grow as a camper and develop as a leader. It is a ministry that has given me an opportunity to help others grow in their faith and develop as leaders. I love seeing the generational impact Camp has had and look forward to the impact it will have on future generations.

How have you seen the Lord work at Camp throughout Covid-19?

God has been so good. He has blessed Camp with generous donors, volunteers, and has made it possible for Camp to not only survive, but thrive in a bleak looking season. Many opportunities to connect and minister to new people have come up, new connections, and new bridges have been built. God has used this season to help the Board of Directors step back and really dig into the core of Camp Evergreen and come out of this season with a renewed energy, passion, and focus.

What is one thing you would want to tell any future camp staff?

Enjoy your time working at Camp Evergreen. It is truly a place like no other where you will learn, grow, and develop as a leader through the opportunities you have to serve. There may be late or sleepless nights and you may feel exhausted, but the opportunity you have to walk with others in the supportive community of Jesus followers will shape you for the rest of your life. Savour every moment, be joyful, and pray continually. And know that those who support Camp Evergreen pray for you often!


Thanks for your thoughtful and authentic answers, Eric! 

I don't know about you, but I just love hearing about how God has used Camp to impact lives! It's also so cool to see campers coming back as staff, and in Eric's case, becoming a member of our Board of Directors! 

That's all for me today! If there is any way we can be praying for you, please don't hesitate to reach out with an email to guestservices@camp-evergreen.com and our management team will be more than happy to be praying for you.

Blessings,


Sarah 'Doodle' Deschatelets
Hospitality Director
Camp Evergreen
403-638-4230
guestservices@camp-evergreen.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

welcome

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter