a tale of two staffers.

LIKE I PROMISED, it's time for some who-works-at-Evergreen fun! We'll start with something super camp related.

You've met Emily before. And once before that, too. (Those sentences are links to previous Emily posts, just in case you weren't sure.)

Emily has been kicking around at Evergreen for a while now - this is her second winter. She's been here, if I counted correctly, for one year and nine months. Wowza. As I type this, Emily is at the skating rink, flooding. She's working with our Site Manager, Dave, this winter and so one of her biggest orders of business right now is preparing for the Pond Hockey Tournament on January 15.

Asked what her favourite skills to lead are, Emily says the "zipline, wall and ITCs [initiative tasks course]. I like these three the most because I love seeing people challenge themselves as individuals and also in a group setting. Watching the 'light' go on for people even when it takes time is cool." That means Emily is evolving as a camp staffer, because she used to tout "Fires, because there are so many ways, and fun ways, to [safely!] light them and rock climbing because it's such a good analogy for how my faith looks" as her favourites. Well, the rock climbing is the same.

You haven't met Becca before. I take that back. If you've been on site, you've probably met Becca. If you've been an Adventure Classic camper in the past five years, the chances that you've met Becca are even higher. She just hasn't been on the blog before.

Becca has also been at Evergreen for ages, but not consecutive ages. She worked as summer staff in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 ... and when summer 2010 drew to a close, she decided to stay on as Assistant Program Director. We're pretty darn glad she stuck around. As I type this, she's ... okay, weird. She just walked into my office to ask a question ... working on schedules for Rise 'n Shine and Mid-Winter Meltdown.

Becca's favourite skills to lead & why: "I like canoeing, because water sports are fun BUT I also love climbing, because it's a skill which is sometimes just as much as mental challenge as a physical one. It's sweet being able to encourage folks to try for just 'one more step' and break through the struggle."

Ooooh, fondness for wall climbing. A trend develops! We like climbing here at Evergreen. I (Kerry) am definitely a canoeing fan; it was always my chosen skill when I was a camper and it was the skill I taught most when I was spring and summer staff. I used to belay, too, back when I was spring staff in 1999 and 2000, but I'm happy to leave the wall stuff to Emily, Becca and other who love it these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter

welcome