robin jones gunn! april 16-18!

I don't actually know if I have the words to explain how excited I am to announce that Robin Jones Gunn is going to be our speaker at Ladies' Retreat, from April 16-18, 2010. Indulge me while I tell you why I'm so excited, okay?

I grew up reading Robin Jones Gunn's Christy Miller series. The Sierra Jensen and Todd & Christy: The College Years series came out when I was done high school; I've read them all (Doug & Tracy got married on my birthday in the sixth Sierra Jensen, With this Ring, which I thought was pretty great). I've read the Glenbrooke series more than once and have recently been reading Sisterchicks books, even though they're about women quite a bit older than me. Even more recently, I've been reading the new Katie Weldon books as they come out. This summer, I had my mom express mail two copies of the third Katie Weldon book for Ashley and me the day they arrived in the bookstores.

Anyway, shortly after I finished my BA, I re-read Christy Miller, then Sierra Jensen, then T&C: the College Years, then Glenbrooke ... it was quite the undertaking, since the four series total 35 books. I had been feeling incredibly distant from God, from faith and from any sense of hope as I came out of university and I went back to the Christy Miller crew because they were comfortable books; they feel like home. I love books that feel like home. And somewhere along the way through the books, I remembered a whole bunch of things about why I had chosen to follow Jesus and why I wanted to be loved by God ... and it was life changing. Huzzah!

Robin will be our Ladies' Retreat 2010 speaker, and I'm excited to hear what she'll have to share. For a bit more introduction, let's turn to my friend, youtube.

So first, Robin Jones Gunn in California, talking about her books and characters:



And, speaking to a women's conference in Alabama:

Comments

Bethany said…
That first video made me feel really sentimental. I might have to re-read.
Lisa said…
Seriously?! You must be positively giddy with joy! Looks like I have a LOT of books to read in the next couple of months! I knew you would be able to get her to come.
Unknown said…
I am so excited! I had the most amazing experience of seeing Robin Jones Gunn speak once. She is an amazing speaker and an even more amazing person to chat with! This is going to be great! And for fun maybe I will read my RJG books for the hundreth time!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

welcome

summer is here