trail blazers 1, july 6-11

Summer camp is underway! We've just said good-bye to 82 grade 5-6 kids who were here all week -- and it was a great week! We had fairly significant amount of rain, but definitely not enough to prevent us from having tonnes of fun. (And really, who can complain about rain when there's also drought within our province? We are thankful for God's provision.)

Our speaker this week was J Janzen, which was pretty cool for me because waaay back when, when I was a cabin leader, J worked here as the Assistant Program Director. J's an amazing story teller, and he talked about how God created each one of us with a purpose.

Highlights this week include Collectors' Choice in the Activity Centre, the Animal Game, ziplining and sneak out nights. And, of course, Jug 'n Jog. I haven't seen Jug 'n Jog in a while and was surprised to discover that we know play with a safe zone in the middle instead just one middle line. It's good to let things evolve though.

This morning at breakfast, I had a conversation with one of the funniest campers we have here this week (or ever). This probably doesn't really capture what a

Kerry: So, how are you liking your cabin leaders? Are you having fun?
Camper: Yeah, they're great, but I can see that Ben has really changed since last year.
Kerry: What do you mean by that?
Camper: Well, his voice has changed.

We also had a pretty sweet moment in chapel last night: Jenny invited the kids to pray if they wanted to, and she said, "if you want to pray, just stand up on your bench and pray real loud!" And so one boy quickly jumped up on his bench and just hollered super loud. Everyone was startled and a little confused, so Jenny walked over to him, and gently asked, "what are you doing?" The camper replied, "You said to stand up and cheer real loud!" He was a really good sport about it ... in fact, I can imagine him being back as staff in six years or so.


Jug 'n Jog



Alex is saying, "seriously, Kerry? do you have to take pictures right now? I'm trying to concentrate on this sweet game of Jug 'n Jog. I'm even wearing a special Jug 'n Jog jersey."
Bradley is saying, "Yes! I'm going to be blogged! Yes! I love Camp Evergreen! I love my life! I love Jug 'n Jog! I love it I love it I love it!"


Collectors' Choice - Hula Hooping Challenge



Chapel - Everybody Jump, Now!



Some Archery Action



Engineering
Every time I've seen the Engineering kids this week, they've been so excited about the projects Katie has for them. They were tossing eggs of the balcony of the lodge today -- the boys' egg survived its fall; the girls' egg did not.



Canoeing Fun
Even when the weather's less than hot, you still have to get some good splashing in! Traffic jams are also a critical part of the canoeing experience at Camp Evergreen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

welcome

summer is here