The Impact of Camp

I had a bit longer of a blog written and decided to delete it because something a camper wrote in a Pit Crew application is better than anything I could say today.

Pit Crew is part of our Junior Staff program. It's the first program you can go into (grade 9,10) to train to be staff here at Evergreen. It's a two week program where campers learn what it means to follow Jesus, to be a servant, and to start experiencing and serving camp from behind the program.

Signing up for Pit Crew (and Internships) is more than just a registration form for parents to fill out. There's an application where we ask about the camper's testimony of faith and why they are wanting to be part of our Junior Staff program. Here's how one applicant responded in their 2016 application:

"When I was in grade 6, my friend told me about this camp that he heard from his friend called Camp Evergreen. We asked our parents to sign us up, and they did. I had no idea who Jesus was or God. I heard the names once or twice and I remember my Grandma telling me the story of Adam and Eve but that's about it. Then I got to camp and I was a little nervous because I knew nothing about religion. Then it was time for chapel. It was a very cool experience and I still remember when I first walked in and it felt like a very cool, almost relaxed vibe that made all of my nervousness disappear. The biggest thing I remember from that week was when I sat down with my leaders and we prayed for and two other guys in our cabin and asked God to take us in as one of his sons and for Him to help us through the difficult times in our life. That is one of my favourite memories from Camp and one of my favourite memories ever.

After that week at camp I knew that this wasn't going to be a one time thing and that what I learned that was going to stick with me my whole life. That was when my friend told me about his youth group and invited me and a firend to come one Friday and try it out. That's when I met some really awesome people like the Youth Pastor and other youth leaders and many others that helped me enhance and understand my relationship with Jesus Christ. Then I came back the next year to Camp Evergreen and learned how God loves me no matter what. 

Last year I was going to camp on a low point with my relationship with God and I knew that if anything could help it, it would be Camp. Sure enough, Camp helped me rekindle the sparks of my relationship with Jesus and got it going again. I just recently started reading my Bible and praying every night and it would be unbelievable if I could spend two weeks at camp [this year]."

I read that and my heart nearly bursts. Camp isn't great because WE make it great. It's because God chooses to use a place like camp to draw in and change campers' lives - and we can be part of that.

What are you doing this summer? Are you ready to pursue what God has for you in your life? Ready to become a disciple of Jesus?

Check out our Pit Crew and Internship programs.

God is good, all the time.
All the time, God is good.
Peace out, Jogee












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter

welcome