University, Staff, Skittles & Jesus.


Hi, Hello, How are you?

Today I am going to take you on a bit of a journey... rabbit trails and everything but I do hope that at the end I can bring it back around to a place where people can understand. Let me start with a few stories.

I set out to write this blog post last week in preparation for this coming Wednesday and guess what? It is Friday already.. wait Saturday now! How did that happen? Writing this blog post has stirred up many memories of university. I would spend hours at the library staring at the computer screen itching to get a few words on the page. Late nights and procrastination were my forte. I would be the one running into class with the paper fresh off the printer. Why? Maybe I needed the deadline but I also felt the need to make it perfect. I would always strive for perfect but felt like I would come up short. What is perfect anyway?

A few weeks ago Travis and I headed out on the Camp Days Tour. If you have never heard of Camp Days, this is where we travel to bible colleges and look for students that would like to become staff at summer camp. We went to Prairie, Ambrose, Briercrest and Millar. We hung out with other camp directors and got new ideas for this coming summer. We reconnected with old staff and connected with potential new staff. Some students would come by our booth and talk to us and others just wanted some of Ken's delicious cookies! Students would say that they love the idea of camp however they aren't campy enough or need to make more money.. What makes people campy enough?

Skittles. For lent I thought it might be good to give up something. I've never felt this way before as I thought - people are just starving themselves of all the good things - my heart just was not in it. This year however my heart was in it. Lent is a season of preparation before Easter. This time is set aside for reflection on Jesus - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection. Most people when they think of Skittles do not think about Jesus but I do. I lovvvve skittles. I would eat them everyday if I could. I eat them for breakfast on days off when I don't want to cook for myself. If I was to partake in Lent - it had to be personal. Skittles point me to Jesus. As I deny my desire for skittles I think about His sacrifice. As I think about how much I love Skittles, I think about how I long to love Jesus more and more.

Now you are wondering .. How do these all connect? I think for a long time I believe that I looked to the worlds definition of perfect before God's. So maybe instead of trying to live up to the words definition of perfect... resting in 1st Corinthians 10:31 where is says, "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" is the best plan. Camp requires you to rely on Jesus. There are sacrifices that will need to be made. Sleep, weekends and a million dollars are not something you will find a lot of at camp but you will find a lot of Jesus and people who want to be used by him. We are looking for leaders who is earnestly running after Gods own heart. We encourage crazy and will run with you as you learn the ropes here at camp.

We are still looking for Spring and Summer staff. If you are looking for a way to serve God in the coming months, check out our website at www.camp-evergreen.com . Under "work with us", you should find all the information you need. If you are not in the place where you can serve with us for a full season, there are many options for weekly volunteers and we would love to have you!


Taylor ~ Geico 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Calm and Play Jug 'n' Jog

brrrrrr - c-bear hates winter

welcome